Thursday, October 20, 2011

Signs, Signs, everywhere Signs.

If I don't laugh, I might just cry. So everyday here in Uganda I allow myself to find humor in some of the things around me, despite all the sorrow.

The signs posted throughout town have proven to be my source of comedic relief. The thing I love about the signs here, are how blunt they are. Right to the point of what you should know. I appreciate that.

Some signs are as simple as ZEBRA CROSSING. This one took me by surprise, as I of course thought it meant we might see Zebra crossing the road. My driver laughed at me, explaining that it was to tell you that the stripes on the ground are for people crossing the street. I laughed in return, explaining that in America, we call it a Crosswalk....and at the humor in there being a sign posted telling people where to cross - um.... the lack of signs everywhere else in the country don't seem to stop anyone from crossing whenever and wherever. (Oh, and BTW - pedestrians DO NOT have the right of way here. Scary!)

Then there was the shop we passed called, China Home Furnishings and Furniture (meaning, made in China, not Chinese decor...). Oh the clarity of it all. In America, we call it Walmart.

The gas station called MoGas. Why yes, I do need mo' gas, please.

The rest I was actually able to catch on my camera. Enjoy.

Okay, so maybe this one isn't FUNNY - but it's still something you wouldn't see in the US. Although, it is very true!

Beyond this sign was a cliff into the swirling waters of the Nile River. In the US, it would read something like, "For your safety, please do not pass this point." Then all the teenage boys would dive in head first.

Love this one. Really? I can't urinate ANYWHERE? Then what is the key for? In America it would simply read, "Private Restrooms available. Please ask attendant for key."

I would probably be granted some form of Political Office in Boulder if I managed to get this sign back to the US with me. Oh wait, maybe Uganda stole this sign from Boulder.

Preach it! I'm going with this one, considering all 3 of those medical issues run in my family. I'm good to go!



****WARNING. THE FOLLOWING SIGN MAY BE INAPPROPRIATE FOR YOUNG VIEWERS (or those who will judge me for posting it). *****









I have no words. I'm sure it is some legitimate warning having to do with the spread of HIV or something, but I'm sorry..... it was just funny to see this huge sign on the side of the road with absolutely no understanding of what it means. Judge away.

5 comments:

Kristina said...

Haha. I love the last sign!!! No judging here:)

TheHappyNeills said...

yeah, that last one has me puzzled too. ask your driver, haha!

Heather said...

I **LOVE** signs in Africa! My friend Anita and I have a collection of the best ones, but I'm a little jealous of the No Morning Sex Africa sign!

Jeff said...

Don't judge boulder - where we are our pets 'caretakers' and not owners!

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

I'm totally offended that you'd post that last sign. ;) Just kidding. Maybe they take morning breath really seriously there?